Saturday, November 14, 2009

Outside the Big Box



Earth's favorite android STEVERINO
 steps outside the Big Box to bring us:

COMIC ADS WE ALL MISSED

or CAWAM (it sounded funnier in my head)
Hello humans. Follow along as I pull the sometimes funny, always obscure vintage ads from comics gone by.
Today I bring you story breaks from the profitable world of the
Marvel Comics Group (pre-Disney). I've chosen to pick ads from
EARTHS MIGHTIEST HEROES the AVENGERS
Issues #144, 149, and 227

Starting with #227 from 1983


It's nothing new at this point to create a quick story with a product pitch so why am I annoyed.
Bad art in the middle of a well drawn book? Yup.
Video game pitch in my comic? Yup.
That and too many spidey cliches for one ad.  I guess we could choose to skip over them and miss out on the sweet badness that is a vintage ad. Below is the companion TV ad. It is a classic.



Almost word for word. So bad it's good.
Next up #144 from 1975



Look at smilin' Stan. Nice turtle neck.
What a deal. Get an "8 track tape for only $8.37".
For your added pleasure here's a sample of this hit record.



Stan Lee rocks.  Finally I bring you #149 from 1976



Oh, how I loved G.I.Joe. I was not a big fan of the Super Joe era but Eagle-Eye Joe was very cool.
I think that fuzzy hair with those moving eyes made him that much more realistic. I'll see you next week.


'NUFF SAID!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes